Thursday, February 07, 2008

How Old Am I, Anyway??

Before my birthday, Edwin, Saskia, and I were talking during dinner one night and I shared that I sometimes forget how old I am. For some reason, I have to pause for a moment and quickly do some math in my head before I can respond. This hasn't always been true, it's something that's seemed to have started in the last year or so. Saskia thought that was pretty funny, which makes sense because as a kid your age is so important, and you're always being asked about it because you're still growing, so I'm sure it was hard for her to imagine not just knowing it.

I ran into a friend at the work cafeteria today, and she mentioned the same thing in our conversation. Funny. Maybe it's something that happens for the first time when you turn 36. Hopefully I'll just forget all about when I turn 40, then.

Tomorrow's my last day of work before taking a few days off next week. We don't have daycare the entire week. I should be able to go in for two days, and I expect to go in on President's Day, which would otherwise be a holiday. I just don't feel comfortable using a lot of vacation this early in the year, knowing that we'll want to take a vacation at some point and not knowing what the rest of the year might bring.

A couple weeks ago I started calling around to different preschools and Montessori schools in our area, to get a sense of what their programs are like and when they might have openings for Anna. So far, the vast majority of them are either full until fall, or Anna is required to be 3 before she could start. Only two schools have possible earlier openings and don't require her to be 3. One is Saskia's former school, Step by Step Montessori which is near Southdale. We went for a visit on MLK day, which was nice for me as I hadn't ever really taken a good look around. The other school is Sunshine Montessori, on the other side of Lake Harriet, which we plan to visit on Monday. So, hopefully after Monday we'll know where we want Anna to take her next step, as she's definitely ready for a more structured environment.

Next week our daycare provider wanted the week off to celebrate her and her husband's 50th wedding anniversary. It's as good of an excuse as any. She mentioned that they've made plans, I hope they're able to get away and truly enjoy their anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home