Sunday, January 06, 2008

A Few Bright Spots

I've had a few, random bright spots in my life recently that I'd like to share. Some are small, some are big, I think most women in general, and moms of toddlers can relate.

--Last night Anna used the potty again! For the most part we've just talked about the potty, and haven't consistently tried to get her to use it. In my mind, I think spring will be the time to make the big push with this, when Anna is wearing clothing that is lighter and easier for her to manipulate. But last night before her bath Anna asked to sit on the potty and peed a little bit! Yay! Now I have to think of how I'd like to do a chart, what kind of reward system to use with her so that when it's time that part of the training is ready to go.

--I did get the promotion and raise I desired, which became effective mid-December. I've been a little ambivalent about it. It's hard for me to be excited, knowing the temper tantrum I had to throw to get it, and knowing how others didn't have to go to those lengths. I think it's going to take me a while to get over that. It wasn't easy to suck it up and keep going into work every day, but I did. I even took on greater responsibilities at work during that time--crazy! I could go on and on but that would be unwise to do. Whatever. The nice thing is that my next raise will be based on my adjusted salary, so even if that's lame (they've basically been cost-of-living increases for everybody for the last couple years) at least it will be based on the higher income.

--I found a new style work pant that fits me wonderfully! It's like I've been on a quest since coming back from maternity leave. It hasn't helped for my weight to yo-yo. Anyway, there's an Ann Taylor loft store near me. Awesome sales at that store! And, I tried on the style pant named "Julie" and it fits me perfectly. Extra room in the hips and thighs, exactly where I need it. I bought a dark brown pair and a black pair and both pairs I've worn mulitple times already.

--I got to see the Frida Kahlo exhibit yesterday at the Walker Art Center! I have been wanting to go to it for some time, and it ends in about a week. I asked Edwin if he was interested in going to it, but he didn't care to as much as I did so I went yesterday while he took Anna and Saskia sledding. It was a great exhibit, lots to see. Several of her more famous paintings were part of the exhibit, and there was also a great number of pictures of her and Diego Rivera that she had kept through the years of her life. Yesterday happened to be a free family day, so I didn't have to pay to get into the exhibit. I did have to wait in a long line, but it was worth it.

--I'd hoped to also go to the movie Kite Runner yesterday but couldn't work it out. Instead, I went to Juno, which was a little lower on my list of must-see movies. I liked it a lot. I found Juno's constant smart-ass dialogue a little tiresome at times, but I appreciated the plot twist and appreciated the end of the movie. Plus, I couldn't help but think that if Juno were so smart and knew exactly who to call and what she wanted to do after she learned she was pregnant, why wasn't she as smart in keeping herself from getting pregnant in the first place?

--A few days before Christmas, a group of us from my new team at work went out to lunch. It was a balm, sunny winter day and we were all in a festive mood. My team coordinator had asked me for restaurant suggestions, and since she has a fascination for things Russian (Russian literature, anyway) I suggested Moscow on the Hill, a restaurant in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood of Saint Paul. It turned out to be a great idea, everyone was open to trying something off the menu, and it was fun to have an excuse to be in that part of Saint Paul again. It was really a nice time and we found lots of things to talk about other than work.

--My Christmas treats turned out well! Though, I didn't get any made before Christmas. Oops! Basically, I was in Caribou recently and they were selling bark and peppermint-covered pretzels. I bought one, liked it, and realized they were probably easy to make so I then bought the ingredients. I found vanilla instead of almond bark in case Edwin wanted any, and after some experimenting with the candy cane pieces (crushed by a hammer) I made a few dozen of the long pretzels. I still have lots in the refrigerator, I'll bring more to work soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home