Sunday, December 30, 2007

Atonement

I finished reading the book Atonement Friday night and was able to go to the movie Saturday afternoon. I'd actually started the book last spring on our trip to South Carolina but didn't finish it. I came to a certain scene in the book (the letter scene) and had such a sense of foreboding that I just couldn't bring myself to go further. When I'd heard in the fall that the movie was going to be released soon and how excited all the critics were to see it, I reconsidered, restarted the book and resolved to finish, regardless of what would happen with the characters.

Maybe it is silly, but I had such hopes that despite everything that happened all could be made right in the end. I really, truly wanted that to be the case, for there to be redemption. Not necessarily forgiveness, but redemption and truth and understanding.

The main character, Briony Tallis, as a child saw adult sexual behavior which she totally misinterpreted and led to the arrest and imprisonment of an innocent man for rape--Robbie Turner. Upon coming of age and not only realizing her mistake but realizing the horrible consequences for Robbie and others involved, she now has to live with herself and the knowledge of what she has done. Any attempts she could have made to make everything right were interrupted by the war, or were they? Would she have had the strength to go forward years later and tell the world she was wrong? How would she do it? What difference would it make, since the worst damage to the life and reputation of the innocent man was already done and couldn't be undone? What took so long?

Of course movie reviews mention the war scenes, as Robbie is able to get out of prison early by agreeing to join the army, and finds himself in France and making his way with all the others to avoid capture by escaping from Dunkirk. His love, Briony's sister Cecilia, works as a nurse in London and ignores letters from Briony begging for a meeting with her. We learn in the end that before Robbie and Cecilia have time to reunite and begin a life together, both are killed in the war. It's all horribly, horribly sad.

The book is incredibly well written and must be read slowly. I was able to pick up on certain clues ... why Robbie's war experience ended so abruptly yet he shows up in London seeminly unscathed weeks later. A mention of the area where Cecilia lived and how it was bombed so badly shortly thereafter. Letters between the two later showing up in archives ... how did they get there? How did Briony seem to know such detail of Robbie's life in the army? On and on, and all covered by a sentence here, a reference there. It's all there.

So I finished the book and was very sad for the ending and hoped that I'd somehow read it wrong, that Robbie and Cecilia had somehow survived the war or at least lived long enough to enjoy time together. The movie confirmed my understanding, so very very sad. It's unusual for me to get so caught up in characters but I couldn't help myself.

I have yet to hear any criticism of the movie, only the highest praise. I agree completely. The movie theater was packed, everyone was somber at the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home