Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Holidaze



This month has gone by in a whirl, as expected. I've felt just a little bit behind on everything, not quite as efficient as I'd hoped. Better luck next year, I guess.

We hosted a holiday gathering at our house in early December for Edwin's team from work, a first. I had also invited the rest of my team (two people!) but they weren't able to come so it was all Findlaw people. Many I've met before at various work events, it was a good sized group (14?) with kids, but it turned out fine. Our friend Cindy helped prepare and serve everything, so Edwin had the time to visit with people and not just run around taking care of everyone. Maybe this will be the start of a new tradition? A lovely fire in the fireplace, lots of food and wine, there's not much more that needs to be done than that.


The following week I joined members of my family for a performance of "A Christmas Carol" at the Wigington Pavillion in St. Paul. My sister-in-law Sharon organized our group, there were seven of us in total at our table. Thank goodness I'd been to the Pavillion a couple weeks before, otherwise I'd never have found it! It has been years since I've seen the play, of course you remember the main parts but enough time had passed that I'd forgotten a lot of the details. It was a very festive evening, and of course a treat for me to get out of the house as Edwin stayed home with Anna.


On the night of the solstice (the 21st) all four of us went to a solstice party at my friend Jill and John's condo in Minneapolis. I was pretty excited to get the invitation, I'd always had a good time at her parties in the past and I looked forward to seeing her again. The last time I'd gone to her solstice party was when Anna was a newborn, I took her along and friends at the party enjoyed holding her. This time Anna spent a lot of her time running around and trying to play with a boy many years older than she. More good food and wine.


The next night my brother Charlie and his wife Sharon hosted all of my family (in town) at his house. We drove up to Blaine for a traditional turkey dinner and exchanged some gifts. Anna had another great time, playing with Grandma, Claire, her Auntie Cheryl and others. She still talks about the people who were there--Uncle Charlie, Uncle Paul, Uncle Tony. Even now she points at them and says their names when looking at the new family picture. I would check on her from time to time but mostly she shooed me away so she could play without my interruptions. It was nice to sit back and not worry too much where she was or what she was doing. It was hard to leave the party that night for the long drive home.


Christmas night we were invited to a dinner party at Laura's house, a friend of Edwin's. By this time it was the four of us again and it was another nice time. Once again good food and good wine, we'd really eaten well at all of the events and once again Anna ran around with the older girls and enjoyed herself.

All in all those days were fun, yet still relaxing as we had no other set plans besides the dinner parties and slept in every day. Everyone seems to have liked the gifts I got for them. I filled all of our Christmas stockings, including my own. I hope to find someone to personalize them for me after the holidays, I don't feel confident to take care of them myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home