Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's Cold and We Have Colds, Too

I had a cold a couple weeks ago that seemed to pass quickly and uneventfully. My voice got hoarse, but it was never painful and I continued to work through it. At around the same time Anna got a new cold, which last week took a turn for the worse and resulted in two trips to the doctor and a round of antibiotics that she finished tonight. She's back to sleeping through the night again, but it was a long haul for all of us and she didn't go to daycare all last week. One thing we learned--the Target brand cold medicines for kids work really well.

I've pretty much ignored all the so-called warnings that have come out recently regarding kids and cold medicines, fever medicines too. I'm not going to not give her something if there's a cold or fever medicine which could ease her symptoms. Of course I'll be careful and follow the directions. End of story. People are so quick to freak out, and never quite get around to hearing the whole story or reading the entire article when warnings like this come out. Over-dosing cold medicine is bad, not the medicine itself. And, it's easy to over-dose with a child when they need so little of it.

At the same time I stocked up at Target for Anna I stocked up on adult cold medicine, too, expecting I'd be the next one to need it. Wrong. Now Edwin has a cold, much to his embarrassment? chagrin? surprise? He's always lecturing me on what I should be doing to stay healthy, he doesn't quite know what to think when he gets a cold himself. Sure, it's a good idea to eat healthy foods with vitamins and minerals but that's not always enough.

Supposedly this horrible cold should be easing by the end of the week. Thank God! It's been going on long enough, wouldn't you say?

Speaking of horrible cold, what a crazy game the Packers had against the Giants Sunday night. I thought for sure the Packers would win and was happy for Brett Farve to have a chance to play in the Super Bowl again. I'm bummed for my Packer-fan friends. How in the world were fans able to endure the cold? I'm sure I'm out of the loop regarding all the warming devices out there, like all the possible hand warmers and battery-operated socks and that kind of thing. Despite the loss I'm sure all the people there for the game will enjoy telling the story, years in the future, of being at the game and what they did to stay warm. We started watching the game in the fourth quarter and saw the Giants miss their two field goals. I felt sorry for their kicker, to miss two in a row! Maybe a teammate or two told him "it's okay, there's next time" blah blah blah after missing the first, but two? In such a close game? The game which determines who goes to the Super Bowl? So I'm glad he eventually was able to redeem himself, but even then, what do you say? Probably nothing but breathe a sigh of relief and be thankful the Super Bowl is in Arizona this year and no place cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home