Monday, January 08, 2007

The New Year is Here!

So, finally my new vacation time has kicked in at work. Thank God! Already it feels good to have a little breathing space in that regard.

Our bathroom is almost finished, it looks great. We're happy with the tile we picked out, and the fixtures look classy. We've had our shower back for a few days now, though I can't get the shower curtain to stay up. There are still a few loose ends to wrap up, for example, the toilet we bought didn't have a toilet seat. So now we have to buy one of those, but not at Home Depot because they don't have one to match. ??? Who would think? Oh, and the medicine cabinet rocks, despite it not being our first choice. I will have to devote some time to painting the trim, as I need to do in our bedroom.

I have finished reading Anna Karenina and am now reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Saskia and I have watched the movie, which is quite good for a teen movie. I wasn't expecting to read this book, but Saskia had taken it out from the library and had finished it with about a week left so I thought I'd try to squeeze it in. It's certainly an easy read compared to Anna Karenina!!

I did enjoy reading Anna Karenina, though it got tiresome at the end. I would have liked more of her story to end the book, rather than the switch over to Levin's story. Had I been reading the book half asleep at the wrong time I may have completely missed that she committed suicide. Anyway, I am assuming Tolstoy's style has to do with a desire to share his personal views with his readers, not a pure storytelling goal. While reading the end of the book I kept thinking about Madame Bovary, and how I liked that book so much better than Anna Karenina. The storyline is similar--bored 19th(?) century wife has an affair and later kills herself in despair of the new life she's created.

New Year's weekend was a lot like Christmas weekend--low key. Saskia was with us and we ended up at Edinborough park that evening, rather than the outdoor plans we originally had. Anna loves Edinborough park and had a blast, many of the new pictures of her and Saskia on her blog are from New Year's Eve. I went to a movie that afternoon (The Painted Veil--excellent) and then met up with the girls and Edwin later. After putting Anna to bed, Edwin, Saskia and I sat in front of the fire playing Rummikub until midnight, which is exactly what we did last year.

New Year's morning we were invited to our friend Cindy's house for a pancake breakfast and had a lovely time. The food was delicious (I love breakfast!) and Anna got plenty of adoration from the other guests. Later Edwin took Saskia sledding for a while, then the two of them took Anna sledding and once again she had a blast, going down the little hill at Lake Harriet. Somewhere in there I spread out all my scrapbooking supplies on the dining room table and got to work. I still have all my stuff out so I can work on a couple pages here and there. It feels good to be making some progress.

Anna is now walking! She can take several steps before falling, and is so, so proud of herself. It's really sweet to watch. She still likes to practice a lot, and always heads toward the stairs when she practices with me. She has always loved the stairway, so I shouldn't be surprised. When she was tiny, I'd hold her in my arms and walk up and down the stairs over and over as a way to calm her down when she was crying.

More another day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home