Friday, December 22, 2006

I'm almost there!

I have a few more cards to write, but otherwise I think I'm ready for Christmas. In the end I decided not to bake any cookies at all ... there are tons of goodies at work, and a very generous coworker shared with me her bounty from the cookie exchange. Plus, I do still have baby weight to lose, why add more cookies?

My brother Charlie is newly engaged to his fiancee, Sharon. I met her at Thanksgiving and she seems pretty nice and easy to talk to. Good for them! It brings back good memories of that newly-engaged time, before the serious wedding planning begins. That was one of the happiest times of my life.

It snowed yesterday, but we didn't get too much. My commute home from work wasn't that different than most other days. Now everything outside is so pretty, every tiny branch covered with snow. Edwin is home with Anna today and I'm sure he'll play with her in the snow. I set out her snow boots and snow suit, bought long ago. I'm a little jealous that I'll miss it.

I've received all my eBay purchases except for one, a fancy beaded evening purse which I could swear is coming from Asia. I'm trying to be reasonable, knowing that it may take a couple weeks for it to arrive but I'm starting to move into that vague, gray area of wondering if it's ever going to come and have I just been screwed over? I'm giving it until the end of the month.

Saskia and I did a little shopping Monday night, because she hadn't gotten anything for Edwin yet. We went to both Bibelot and Cooks of Crocus Hill and found a few little things I'm sure he'll like. At first she just wanted to buy him coffee, like she did for his birthday, but I said no, she could do better than that. I said she had to try harder--coffee is a gift when you can't find anything else. Sas realized last night she had gotten nothing for Anna, then wondered if she could take back some stuffed animals she had already given her, to wrap as a Christmas gift. I said no. I thought maybe Edwin would have taken care of that, oh well. When she comes back after Christmas she and I can talk about it some more. Still learning.

The bathroom remodel continues, and we've been showering at the Y. I peek in at the bathroom every day to look for progress, and I can usually tell that something has been done. I don't think the tiling is too far away.

Last night I finished watching the PBS shows I'd taped about the influenza outbreak of 1918. Years ago I'd missed this American Experience show and have been waiting for it to be shown again. It is very good, and very shocking how many people died. More people died in this outbreak than did in all the 20th Century wars. Most of the victims were young adults and children. They'd be healthy one minute, and die quickly an excruciating death. The writer Katherine Anne Porter came down with influenza and the show said that her fevers were so high that her hair turned white and fell out. She survived. After this show, there was another related show called Secrets of the Dead which was also incredibly interesting. They said that at the time, microscopes were not strong enough to see viruses, so the groups of scientists driving themselves to respond to the outbreak had no chance to do any good because they couldn't pinpoint the cause. The investigators on this show shared their theories of where the virus originated (France, in 1916), how it originated (large group of soldiers, pigs, and birds in close proximity), and that since most victims were young (strong) people, the older generations must have had some immunity due to a prior strain of the virus. Anyway, fascinating show.

That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home