Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Time Well Spent

On Monday I had my first apheresis (platelet donation) appointment. Overall it went well, though it is not a matter to take lightly. I chose the St. Paul Red Cross location since they have so many time slots to choose from and it is closest to work.

All the things I was told would happen, happened. I got cold during the donation and needed a ridiculous number of blankets on me. I also got the buzzing feeling around my mouth and needed extra calcium. Toward the end, I got pretty uncomfortable so the last 20-25 minutes or so were agonizingly slow.

I was hooked up to the machine for 100 minutes, completely unable to move my arms. I had brought along a couple of the DVDs I'd taken out from the library, and ended up watching Before Sunset while I was there. Note to self, don't choose a movie so dependent on dialogue to watch next time. Toward the end I was able to watch the machine's monitor, which showed the time remaining and had a changing diagram which showed the progress I was making toward my goal. This totally reminded me of the screen they have on the airplanes, showing a map of your flight's progress. Though it changes slowly, you can't help but stare at it to pass the time.

I don't know how long a single donation would have taken, but I was told that since my platelet count was so high they were going to do a triple donation with me, and they did. I guess that means the total amount they took from me could be used for three different units. If we were all going through the hassle they might as well take all that they can, make my time there as worthwhile as possible. I'll have to ask more about it next time, I'm a little vague on some of the specifics.

Afterward I took my time in the recovery area and then headed to work. It's been years since I've driven some of those roads. During my drive I had a couple cars suddenly brake in front of me to make right-hand turns, scared me half to death. No time is a good time to be in a car accident, but certainly not after having made a triple donation of your own platelets!

Now I seem to be coming down with a cold, and Anna has something going on with her as well. So far I just think it's a cold, and that she has more days of it under her belt than I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home