Sunday, April 22, 2007

So, I had a Mammogram

I had a mammogram a couple weeks ago, my first. I hadn't felt a lump or anything, I just thought it would be a good thing to do. I've heard way too many scary breast cancer stories lately, stories about women my age finding themselves with cancer and fighting to stay alive. The latest was that of Bridget, a friend of my neighbor Nicole, who I'd met at a Tupperware party Nicole hosted last fall. Bridget and I hit it off right away, and at the time she was in the middle of a legal fight regarding her business. I'd asked Nicole about her and then learned the dreadful news about her cancer diagnosis. Early detection is on Bridget's side, I think of her every time I drive by her former business at 50th and Xerxes.

So my results came back from the mammogram the other day--normal. What a relief. I didn't expect anything would show up, but certainly it was possible. I'd had the mammogram done at the Jane Brattain Breast Center at my Park Nicollet Clinic, it's actually right next to Pediatrics, where Anna goes for her appointments. You can tell they've thought of everything to put their patients at ease, from the friendly but subdued waiting room to the cozy robes they have you wear while waiting for the technician. When the technician heard it was my first mammogram she was very informative about everything and reassuring, over-the-top reassuring actually. It was really not a big deal--pap smears are far more uncomfortable, many of the pre-natal visits worse, IMO. I don't know why women would not want to have this done, they must have it built up in their minds to be more painful than it really is, I thought it was a piece of cake. As I said to the technician--so what if the machine is cold? So what if I get a bruise? So what if it pinches me a little bit. Are people really that sensitive that those concerns might keep them away from a potentially life-saving test? That is crazy.

Finally last night I got my hair cut and colored, on Sunday I got my first pedicure of the season. I feel much better about myself. I've broken out the open-toe sandals and spring/summer clothes. I've gotten a few new things I'm anxious to wear (love the Willi Smith clothes at TJ Maxx!) so bring on the nice weather!

Our neighbors two houses to the south of us have their house for sale, and the neighbors between us have sold their house without needing to publicly list it. Wow! We have known for some time that the Stuarts were building a couple blocks away, we're going to miss them but hopefully still see them at the playground. Their current house was just not big enough for their family, and at one time they thought they'd build on to it but then it becomes not too far of a leap to consider just building new if you can find a lot, and they did. The twins had their 3rd birthday party over the weekend and invited everyone to enjoy the jumpy castle they rented, which we finally got to do yesterday. Anna loved it!

Edwin is out of town again this week. The evenings he is gone have filled up with various errands and plans so all is good. Every evening that the weather cooperates I either take Anna for a walk or walk with her to the park and play on the swings. It's just so nice to have so many parks and businesses within walking distance. On Sunday we walked to the bank, to Caribou, and then stopped at Pershing Park on the way home. Anna's also content with just running around the backyard, picking up twigs and kicking a ball. We need to clean and repaint her little house, she now will go inside it but come out covered in dirt. She doesn't mind but I don't want to give her a bath every day quite yet.

I continue to read the third Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book, while Saskia has it checked out from the library. As with any sequels, it just doesn't seem as good as the first, or second, but it is still a worthwhile read. I recommend the movie to anyone interested--America Ferrara plays Carmen. I'm a big fan of hers, especially her role as Betty in Ugly Betty, the one television show I make a true effort to watch every week.

A few days of sun can do wonders, can't they?

2 Comments:

Blogger shannon said...

Your post inspired me to make the appointment for my first one, which I have been putting off for 6 months. I have heard it is not as big of a deal as it seems.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Anna's Mommy said...

Let me know how it goes! I'm sure it's hard to find a good time to make the appointment, with all that is going on.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home