Monday, April 09, 2007

More and More and More

We just had air conditioning installed! Very exciting to have this done, especially after the horrible heat of last summer. I have more dust to deal with around the house due to the work, but in general we are thrilled since the tubing didn't take as much closet space as we feared it would. Yay for Ridler Plumbing and Heating!

I'm now reading the book Star of the Sea, which is about a ship of Irish immigrants on their way to America to escape the potato famine in 1847. I greatly enjoy the writing, and the history of the time I'm learning about. I had seen a documentary on the potato famine years ago, I believe it was on A&E which definitely peaked my interest but I haven't seen or read anything about it since then.

The last movie I saw was The Lives of Others, which won the Oscar for best foreign language film of 2006 (German). I remember watching the Oscars and being moved by the acceptance speech given by the man who played the lead character in the film. I highly, highly recommend this movie, it's quite thought provoking. The movie is set in East Berlin/East Germany, in 1984. A man who is a member of the Stasi is assigned to spy on a young couple, with the goal of finding incriminating evidence on them. However, somewhere along the way the man decides to do what he can to protect them and their borderline illegal activities, at a risk to his own life and shameful career. Certainly I haven't given East Germany or any other of those former Soviet block countries much serious thought then or now. How in the world does a society reconcile the injured, fearful parties with the group that oppressed them?

Once again I feel grateful there's a movie theater close to me which shows films such as The Lives of Others, The Queen, The Painted Veil. There is a movie coming up which is Dutch and set during WWII, so I am anxious to see that as well.

Edwin and I just booked our accommodations for our May trip to Charleston. I am so excited!! We found a place we could cheaply rent for the week, right on the coast and within walking distance of the beach. I'm not looking forward to traveling with all of Anna's baby equipment (car seat, stroller, pack and play) but once we're there I just know it will be wonderful and a real vacation.