Monday, August 06, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

While at the airport, waiting for our flight to Chicago, I realized that I'd forgotten to pack the book I was reading at the time so I decided to splurge and buy myself a hardcover book for the trip--A Thousand Splendid Suns. A Thousand Splendid Suns was written by Khalid Hosseini, who wrote The Kite Runner a few years ago. Both books are moving, memorable page-turners. Sad, tragic, yet uplifting in regard to the human spirit and how the characters persevered despite difficult, violent lives.

I've come to the conclusion that I like A Thousand Splended Suns better of the two books--the main characters were without fault, doing whatever they could do to survive in a time of war and unrelenting hardship. Whereas the main character in The Kite Runner, as an adult in the book had to grapple with the guilt he felt for the selfish, arrogant actions of his younger self. He knew the things he'd done in his life had horrible consequences, and although he was able to redeem himself to an extent, he would never be able to completely make things right. Those of you who've read the books know exactly what I'm talking about.

So now I'll be back to Mists of Avalon when I start reading again. I hope I can find someone to discuss it with when I finish the book. At the least I can find some reviews on Amazon and see if I agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home