Monday, July 30, 2007

My Plants Aren't Dead Yet

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have a green thumb, but it just so happens that the geraniums in my window boxes are still alive and blooming, and the plants in my planters are still doing well. Who woulda thought?

This is my first year of success with the window boxes. I definitely have Edwin to thank, as he's watered them when he's watered the plants in the front yard, and just recently fertilized again. I think I'll just plant the same next year, but more. This year I put three plants in each box, next year I'll put four. In the planters I put two plants, next year I'll put three. Then it'll be perfect! ;)

My indoor plants are doing well, too. I inherited a couple plants from Edwin, and have added a few here and there. As a show of sympathy when my dad died, my employer sent an arrangement of different, small plants, most of which I kept and planted in pots. The majority of these have survived and have even been repotted due to their growth. I'm pleased, and even have a few plants at work. After years and years of killing everything green, I didn't think this was possible.

At this house we don't have a garden--there's no room--and the room we do have doesn't have the best quality sun or soil. Oh well. Edwin used to plant basil, peppers, tomatos, rosemary. We'd have to clear out some perennials in order to make room, and that's been a slow process to decide what to keep and what to dig up. But with this house we've gained a lilac bush, a vast array of perennials, hostas, and a nice sized birch tree in our front yard which I am happy to have.

I think my window boxes were greatly helped by the fact that we didn't travel anywhere for longer than a week at a time. Our neighbor Nicole has offered to water our plants in our absence, I will have to take her up on the offer if I'm as lucky with my boxes next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home