Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lots O Movies

I've been watching a lot of movies lately, mostly videos. I've finally subscribed to Netflix (after a three month free trial, thanks Joe and Jenn!), and our closest library has a great movie selection. Here's what I've seen lately, both in the theater and at home:

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull--ehh. Not so good. Shia LeBouf bugged me. It was nice to see Karen Allen again, I'm glad they made her the meaningful one in Indy's life. It's too bad they couldn't end the series with more of a bang.

A History of Violence--good but not as good as I expected. Plus, I have a difficult time envisioning mobsters who are not Italian, which I suppose is cliche but William Hurt as a mobster? I didn't really buy it.

The Illusionist--I really enjoyed this movie, it was a pleasant surprise. I'm becoming an Edward Norton fan. It also reminded me how much I liked the book The Magician's Wife.

Brideshead Revisited--powerful. I love those British period pieces, this one takes place prior to WWII. However, holy crazy Catholicism! Wow! It's not hard to imagine that families like this existed, but whoa! Emma Thompson was incredible, and I'm inspired to give the book another try (only got 1/3 of the way through).

No Reservations--ehh. Not good. But it had Abigail Breslin in a major role and she's such a cutie that it helped me to see her character through to the end.

Million Dollar Baby--excellent. I'd seen it years ago in the theater before it won the Oscar for Best Picture. I cried and cried at the end, I'd forgotten the part about her robe and the meaning of the Celtic words on the back. *sob*

Lost in Translation--excellent. Understated, simple story. I really liked Scarlett Johansson in this movie though I don't care for her so much now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home